Bay Harbor Five-Day Itinerary
Adventure and excitement are never in short supply for guests of Bay Harbor Motorcoach Resort. However, with so many amazing activities to choose from, it can be a bit overwhelming. To help piece together a vacation that is part excitement, part relaxation and (as the saying goes) “Pure Michigan,” our team has developed an insightful five-day sample itinerary.
Day One: Get to know Petoskey
Petoskey, which surrounds the resort community of Bay Harbor, is ripe with activities for the whole family. For over 100 years it has been a hub for shoppers with plenty of independent and unique boutiques.
- Browse: With store-lined streets it’s not hard to find the perfect souvenir, then head to the Crooked Tree Arts Center to view their interesting and ever-changing art exhibits.
- Picnic: Stop by the amazing Symons General Store in downtown Petoskey for gourmet snacks and all the picnic fixins you could want. Make your way to Bayfront Park.
- Watch: Find a spot at Sunset Park, connected to Bayfront Park by stairs, or the Rose Garden Veranda at Stafford’s Perry Hotel to watch as the sun slowly slips into the water.
- Dine: Go alfresco in the charming, yet hip, downtown district of Gaslight. Consider sampling local wines from Mackinaw Trail Winery.
Day Two: Family Fun for Everyone
What kid could turn down zip lining, an indoor water park, putt-putt golf and sweet treats? Okay, that may be a little much for one day; but they’re all possible for Bay Harbor RV Resort Guests.
- Thrill Seekers: The Zipline Adventure at Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain will be an experience kids will share with friends back home. Race on the Twin Zip or take it at an easier pace with the guided Zipline Adventure Tour.
- All Ages: Enjoy a fun afternoon Pirate’s Cove Adventure in Petoskey. Play putt-putt on Blackbeard’s Challenge or the original course for family bragging rights.
- Animal Lovers: Enjoy the petting zoo at Friske Orchards; where you can also taste pick and enjoy the fruits.
- Sweet Teeth: It’s hard to turn down confections from Kilwins and their incredible ice cream, fudge, chocolates, salt water taffy chews and all sorts of other sweets. Schedule a tour of their kitchen.
Day Three: Tee Time, then Tea for Two.
Put your skills to the test while enjoying an amazing round of golf.
- Bay Harbor: The 27-hole Bay Harbor Golf Course delivers beautifully maintained fairways and spectacular vistas of the region. GOLFWEEK Magazine heralded Bay Harbor Golf Club as “one of the most picturesque golf sites in the country … it may be America’s most diverse collection of holes.”
- Boyne: With tradition in mind, The Links was inspired by the seaside courses of Ireland; The Quarry, on the other hand, brings into play 40-foot gorges and stone cliffs. Rounding off the trio is The Preserve, it challenges golfers with wetlands, woods and a dramatic finish on Lake Michigan.
- Little Traverse Bay: After an unforgettable day of golf, it’s time to refuel. If its good food and great views you’re looking for, we recommend Little Traverse Bay Restaurant. As you dine, peer out across beautiful Little Traverse Bay over to Round, Crooked and Pickerel Lake.
Day Four: An Outdoor Adventure in the Making
We understand that adventure is in the eye of the beholder, so today pick from some fantastic outdoor experiences.
- Go fish: Get hooked at a fly fishing lesson.
- Whoa: Equestrians, both new and experienced, can immerse themselves true natural beauty of the area during guided horseback riding tours.
- Take a Hike: For those looking to move themselves across the land, there are amazing hiking and biking trails all over the Bay Harbor and surrounding areas. We recommend the hitting the trails and exploring the famous and spectacular Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park.
- Get your Feet Wet: Rent a kayak and glide around the beautiful waterways. Take it at a leisurely pace or get a workout from the seat of your kayak. Boat rentals and cruises are also available for the famed Inland Waterways which connect you to a chain of lakes and rivers.
- Free Falling: Sky Dive Harbor Springs offers the views of a lifetime. Thousands of feet above pristine lakes, majestic cliffs and the Bay Harbor Motorcoach Resort, experience the indescribable feeling of free-falling before opening your parachute.
Day Five: The Majesty of Mackinac Island
No visit to the area is complete without a trip to the absolutely spectacular Mackinac Island. Voted one of the top 10 islands in the world, you could easily spend a day or a few exploring the sights, sounds, excitement, and old-world charm of Mackinac.
- Morning: Make it an early morning ferry ride to Mackinac. As you exit the ferry, consider taking a horse and carriage ride to get the lay of the land. Or, rent a bike and explore the island on your own. Don’t miss the Mackinac suspension bridge–it is the sixth longest in the world.
- Lunchtime: Visit Fort Mackinac, founded during the American Revolution. This incredible historic site offers several daily tours. Hungry? For outdoor seating, the simple Chillin’ & Grillin’ Waterfront Cafe is an easy choice.
- Afternoon: Stroll the self-guided Mackinac Architectural Walking Tour. The historical importance of this island’s architecture is so great, in fact, that the entire island is deemed a National Historic Landmark.
- Evening: Get ready for incredible live music including jazz and big band. Savor a delicious dinner with views like the ones at Cudahy Chophouse, the island’s largest summer estate and offers panoramic views of the Straits.